Subject: Re: Problems starting /init

From: Geoff Thorpe <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 18:20:10 -0500

On January 4, 2006 06:03 pm, David H. Lynch Jr. wrote:
[snip]
> 	starting a c "Hello World" application that uses glibc, fputs,
> printf, fwrite, to display a string - again works fine.
>
> 	But I can not get busybox to output a thing either run as /init or
> run as /bin/sh.

busybox tries to open the console device and does fairly extensive 
surgery with the stdio descriptors. So your apps that assume fds 
0,1,2 to be stdin/stdout/stderr are functioning fine, but busybox is 
probably choking because it's opening/configuring the console 
devices. I've worked through this with someone before when we wanted 
busybox to just run with the existing fds - we eventually beat it 
into submission but then ended up changing/replacing the console 
driver instead and going back to vanilla busybox. If you take a look 
through the busybox source, you should find the various 
fork/dup/ctrl/exit gymnastics and with a little patience, you might 
be able to hack around it. But it might be easier in the long run to 
figure out where the opening/manipulation of /dev/console (or 
whatever it's opening) is going wrong.

Sorry I can't help you further. Good luck.

Cheers,
Geoff

-- 
Geoff Thorpe
Freescale Semiconductor