Subject: Re: Linux v2.6.16-rc5

From: Olaf Hering <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2006 19:59:23 +0100

On Sun, Mar 05, Olaf Hering wrote:

>  On Sun, Feb 26, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> 
> > Have I missed anything? Holler. And please keep reminding about any 
> > regressions since 2.6.15.
> 
> I see random memory corruption on an early G3 ibook.
> Testcase is an openSuSE 10.1 installation. 2.6.15 works ok modulo 2 bugs
> to get it booted at all, and the usual udev breakage.
> 
> plain 2.6.16-rc5-git7 locks up after a few packages, no ping.
> Our SuSE kernel does not lockup, but ext2 shows access beyond end of
> device after > 200 packages, or the rpmdb gets corrupt, or both. With reiserfs
> it gets past 100 packages, then reiserfs complains about fs corruption.
> plain -rc2 shows the same reiserfs corruption.
> plain -rc1 dies after a few packages, it jumps to 0x0 in softirq.

-git5 works, -git7 showed reiserfs corruption. -git6 died, jumped from
__do_softirq to 0x0, will try once again.

git5->6 has the mutex changes, but also lots of powerpc changes. Lets
see if I can narrow it down further.

The ibook has 160mb, installation is done via modular nfs
(ro,v3,rsize=32768,wsize=32768,hard,nolock,proto=tcp,addr=1.1.1.3)
I havent seen this on a B&W G3 with 256mb, nor on other ppc32 systems.