Subject: Re: [patch] powerpc: move PAGE_SIZE outside #ifdef __KERNEL__

From: Arnd Bergmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 19:37:10 +0200

On Thursday 20 April 2006 19:24, Geoff Levand wrote:
> The procps package needs PAGE_SIZE, defined in asm-powerpc/page.h,
> but it is defined inside "#ifdef __KERNEL__".
> 
> This moves the PAGE_SIZE definition outside of "#ifdef __KERNEL__".
> 
> From: Hiroaki Fuse
> Signed-off-by: Geoff Levand <[email-masked]>

Nack.

It's a little harder unfortunately. First of all, the patch moves
more parts outside of __KERNEL__, like the  #include <linux/config.h>,
which does not get installed into /usr/include/linux/.

More importantly, the page size is no longer constant on powerpc
across kernel builds. User space relying on a fixed size is broken.

Please look into the sysconf(3) and getpagesize(2) man pages for
how to do it correctly.

Which version of procps are you referring to anyway? This bug seems
to have been fixed back in 2001, but maybe it got reintroduced now.

	Arnd <><