Subject: Re: 85xx FDT updates?

From: Eugene Surovegin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 13:04:04 -0700

On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 02:58:34PM -0500, Andy Fleming wrote:
> Well, let's discuss this hypothetical shim layer.  It's fairly  
> straightforward to incorporate a device tree into the kernel, and  
> hook it up.  The only issue is the elements of the flat device tree  
> which are dynamic.  All of this information is passed in the bd_t or  
> the command line arguments, though, so it should be possible to hook  
> them up.
> 
> Would it be acceptable to require a new command-line argument (I'm  
> thinking specifically of the stdout device path, normally passed in  
> the "chosen" node of the oftree) to be passed in the bootargs?  Or is  
> u-boot absolutely unupdateable on these swiftly-aging systems?

Andy, I think we have to try to not making any changes to the way old 
U-Boot operates, including adding additional boot args. It doesn't 
matter _how_ information is passed between firmware and kernel (in 
bd_t or command line), the moment we add additional requirement 
which never existed before - we break this interface.

-- 
Eugene