Subject: Re: FT u-boot shim

From: Eugene Surovegin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 14:38:57 -0700

On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 03:00:05PM -0500, Kumar Gala wrote:
> 
> If we have a u-boot shim there are some questions that need answering:
> * where should the .dts live (hate duplicating the file both in u- 
> boot and kernel source tree)

I have no strong opinion on this, maybe arch/powerpc/boot/85xx or 
something. Although we may require having U-Boot tree somewhere I 
don't particularly like this solution, it's better to keep kernel 
self-contained, even if it requires some duplication. I personally 
don't see this as an issue, because I assume this file isn't gonna 
change frequently anyway.

Also, I think it's much safer to have this file in the kernel, this 
way we will avoid potential problems with using different U-Boot 
versions with different versions.

> * how does build system find .dts

If we go with "we-need-U-Boot-tree" solution, we can add Kconfig 
option to specify path to U-Boot tree.

> * a Kconfig option to enable shim

Yes, there should be an option, for boards which can support old and 
new U-Boot it should be user-selectable with old U-Boot being 
a default. For boards which support only one type of U-Boot, this 
option can be selected automatically.

> * assume done as a boot wrapper of sorts

Yeah, probably.

-- 
Eugene