Subject: Re: [PATCH] powerpc: add dmesg command to xmon

From: Olaf Hering <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 19:58:34 +0200

On Sun, May 28, Arnd Bergmann wrote:

> On Sunday 28 May 2006 14:07, Olaf Hering wrote:
> > > This whole function looks fishy to me. It seems unnecessarily rude to me to
> > > use kallsyms_lookup_name in order to get at a static variable from another
> > > file. Can't you instead add a global function to kernel/printk.c to return
> > > the buffer?
> > 
> > Its possible, but it wont end up in Linus tree.
> 
> Hmm, so the idea is that because Linus doesn't like kernel debuggers, we just
> obfuscate the code for any improvements to xmon and hope he doesn't notice?

So lets just ask again for support in generic code for a dmesg command in xmon:

http://lkml.org/lkml/2004/10/28/32

vs. these 2 patches

http://ozlabs.org/pipermail/linuxppc-dev/2006-May/023261.html
http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/5/29/55

or no dmesg at all.