Subject: Re: Base address of executables - weirdness?

From: [email-masked] (Linas Vepstas)
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2006 12:33:43 -0500

On Tue, Jun 06, 2006 at 08:42:49AM -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> I'm trying to track down an odd issue with klibc on ppc32.
> 
> Until recently, binaries linked with ld defaulted to a base address of 
> 0x10000000+SIZEOF_HEADERS.  However, recently I've gotten a couple of 
> reports -- and I've been able to confirm this on my FC5 system -- that 
> some versions of ld links at 0x01800000+SIZEOF_HEADERS.  Needless to 
> say, this is more than a bit confusing, *especially* since "ld -verbose" 
> still reports:
> 
>      PROVIDE (__executable_start = 0x10000000); . = 0x10000000 + 
> SIZEOF_HEADERS;
> 
> ... at the top of the linker script.
> 
> I'm rather baffled.  Has anyone else seen this, and/or have any other 
> explanation?

Googling "0x01800000 linux ppc" brings up some interesting but old hits.

However, I swear I saw someone suggest a patch last week that changed
0x10000000 to 0x01800000 somewhere, (vmlinux.lds ??) as a proposed cure
for a bug. Sorry, I deleted it.

--linas