Subject: Re: [JOB] Senior Embedded Linux Video Engineer

From: [email-masked] (Linas Vepstas)
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 11:38:14 -0500

On Fri, Jul 14, 2006 at 06:21:00PM +0200, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
>
> > Should I post our embedded PPC kernel related work openings here?
> 
> NO!!!
> 
> This is a technical discussion group. Job offerings,  commercial  ads
> and all this stuff is off topic here. Please re-read the list info at
> https://ozlabs.org/mailman/listinfo/linuxppc-embedded resp. -dev
> 
> It  says:  "...discussions/patches   should   pertain   to   software
> development  for the kernel core ppc32 embedded processor support and
> any driver/chip/board support for ppc32 based embedded systems."
> 
> "Software development". This does not allow for job  offers,  ads  or
> other crap.

I respectfully disagree. There may well be people who would rather 
work on PowerPC Linux kernels more than any other thing in the world,
and it is entirely appropriate for job openings for PowerPC Linux kernel
programmers to be posted here.

Much as I would like to be, and not for lack of trying, indpendently
wealthy off some dot-com IPO, so that I may code on whatever I wished, 
I have, in fact, failed at this, and must stick to actual employment
to feed, cloth and educate my family. I am not alone.

There is a long precedent for this in academic societies, and you will
find job postings in Nature, Science, Physics Today and American
Mathematical Monthly. Frankly, there simply are not so many job
opporunities that we, much like engineers and scientists in general, 
can afford to thumb our noses at them.

If you in fact are especially fortunate, then perhaps you could
mentor someone younger: someone who is hot, smart, and fresh out of
college, a good talent, who has contributed good patches, but is now 
faced with the need to find rent and beer money. What advice can you
give them, "tough luck Squidward, go work at the Krusty Krab?"

--linas