Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/3] powerpc: Instrument Hypervisor Calls

From: Mike Kravetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 20:36:18 -0700

On Wed, Jul 19, 2006 at 07:00:22AM +1000, Paul Mackerras wrote:
> Mike Kravetz writes:
> > A small update from the last version.  By popular demand, both
> > wall time (mftb) and cpu cycles(PURR) are collected for each call.
> > It is interesting to see these two values side by side in the
> > output files.
> 
> Did you see the patch from Anton that I posted a week or so ago, which
> reduces the number of plpar_hcall_* functions?  I'd rather the
> instrumentation stuff was based on that.

Agreed.  I missed the patch from last week, but saw the one from Anton
that was posted today.  Future instrumentation patches will assume this
change.

> My other comment is this: wouldn't it actually turn out simpler if we
> read the timebase (and PURR, if we really want to do that too) in the
> assembly code that implements plpar_hcall_*?

I'll give that a try.  My assembly skills are a bit rusty, so it may
take a little longer to produce something.

-- 
Mike