Subject: Re: RFC: Location for Device Tree Sources?

From: Vitaly Bordug <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 22:16:54 +0400

On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 13:09:21 -0500
Matthew McClintock wrote:

> On Wed, 2006-08-02 at 09:38 -0700, Tom Rini wrote:
> > I'll throw in the caveat that I'm not 100% sure we're that stable
> > yet, but it certainly seems like it, at least for the overall
> > portion where you might really have incompatible trees.  More or
> > less complete (now every device is described!) dts should be
> > interchangable to the kernel for the custom board X is just a
> > little different from ref board Y issues (and now, in theory, the
> > Just Like A Sandpoint board, with a correct dts will boot the
> > 'sandpoint' kernel). 
> 
> The sandpoint (as far as I know) does not have a stable DTS. So in
> this case including the DTS in the kernel would reduce confusion. The
> same could be said for other boards where the DTS needed to be
> changed for the IRQ rework. The old DTS will no longer boot the new
> kernels. I'm not sure how much longer we will run into this problem
> though.
> 
I am right about to submit dts+code working fine w/ recent IRQ stuff for 8540 and 8560,
and will make sure dts coming along.

But, I guess we finally should end up with a place in kernel tree where such a stuff should reside
further.