Subject: Re: [CFT:PATCH] Removing possible wrong asm/serial.h inclusions

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 17:17:48 +0100

On Mon, Aug 28, 2006 at 09:52:44AM +0100, Russell King wrote:

> asm/serial.h is supposed to contain the definitions for the architecture
> specific 8250 ports for the 8250 driver.  It may also define BASE_BAUD,
> but this is the base baud for the architecture specific ports _only_.
> 
> Therefore, nothing other than the 8250 driver should be including this
> header file.  In order to move towards this goal, here is a patch which
> removes some of the more obvious incorrect includes of the file.
> 
> MIPS and PPC has rather a lot of stuff in asm/serial.h, some of it looks
> related to non-8250 ports.  Hence, it's not trivial to conclude that
> these includes are indeed unnecessary, so can mips and ppc people please
> test this patch carefully.

The MIPS bits were just unused leftovers from the days when the arch
code did did register serials & consoles.  So for the MIPS bits:

Acked-by: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>

  Ralf