Subject: Re: Broken Firewire 400/SCSI on ppc Powerbook5,8

From: Wolfgang Pfeiffer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2006 01:26:44 +0200

On Sat, Sep 02, 2006 at 09:18:07PM +0200, Stefan Richter wrote:
> 
> Alas I am out of ideas. Perhaps you should purchase a new enclosure. 
> Before you do that, you could test the AluBook running Linux and TiBook 
> in target disk mode again to exclude the possibility of problems at the 
> AluBook's side. Use "hdparm -tT /dev/sda" to try a few actual block read 
> operations. This should show about 20 MByte/s. It is a read-only test 
> and therefore safe.

OK, I did this test with the unmounted Tibook /dev/sda  
(target mode). So I executed the one-liners below on the
alubook. /dev/sda should be the hard disk on the tibook:

####################################################

# /sbin/hdparm -tT /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
 Timing cached reads:   1244 MB in  2.00 seconds = 620.49 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:   34 MB in  3.02 seconds =  11.24 MB/sec
[root@ 01:21:02]# /sbin/hdparm -tT /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
 Timing cached reads:   1232 MB in  2.00 seconds = 615.19 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:   34 MB in  3.04 seconds =  11.17 MB/sec
[root@ 01:21:20]# /sbin/hdparm -tT /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
 Timing cached reads:   1260 MB in  2.00 seconds = 628.93 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:   36 MB in  3.07 seconds =  11.72 MB/sec
[root@ 01:21:35]#

##############################################################

Looks good, doesn't it?

Thanks again

Best Regards
Wolfgang

-- 
Wolfgang Pfeiffer: /ICQ: 286585973/ + + +  /AIM: crashinglinux/
http://profiles.yahoo.com/wolfgangpfeiffer

Key ID: E3037113
http://keyserver.mine.nu/pks/lookup?search=0xE3037113&fingerprint=on