Subject: Re: [patch 13/16] powerpc: make prom_init.o dependent on PPC_OF

From: Sascha Hauer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2006 10:47:45 +0100

On Fri, Nov 03, 2006 at 09:34:13AM +1100, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> 
> Acked-by: Benjamin Herrenschmidt <[email-masked]>
> 
> Note that CONFIG_PPC_OF is always set in arch/powerpc since that
> includes support for the flat device-tree... We might want to keep a
> separate option for prom_init.c, though I'm not too big about it right
> now. Maybe CONFIG_PPC_BOOT_FROM_OF :) That would allow custom kernel to
> be shrunk down if they don't need to support platforms that are known
> not to have a real OF (iSeries for example).
> 

I don't know yet where the exact boarders are in the code between real
OF and flat device tree. Maybe I can look at it once I have a proper
device tree for my board.
Out of curiosity I just disabled CONFIG_PPC_OF. There were two undefined
references to functions I didn't need at the moment. After commenting
them out the kernel compiled and booted. It saved me ~10k kernelsize,
but ok, I thought I would still have flat tree support.

Sascha

-- 
 Dipl.-Ing. Sascha Hauer | http://www.pengutronix.de
  Pengutronix - Linux Solutions for Science and Industry
    Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Hildesheim, HRA 2686
      Hannoversche Str. 2, 31134 Hildesheim, Germany
    Phone: +49-5121-206917-0 |  Fax: +49-5121-206917-9