Subject: Re: [RFC/PATCH 0/7] Powerpc MSI Implementation

From: Greg KH <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 17:02:57 +0900

On Tue, Nov 07, 2006 at 06:41:16PM +1100, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> 
> >  * Moved msi_info into the pci_dev. This is ugly, but not sure where else
> >    we can put it, pci_dn is no longer an option.
> 
> It's only ugly because it's currently powerpc specific (and thus needs
> an ifdef). It's the right way to go in the long run for the generic
> code. 
> 
> Now the question is wether Eric is interested in our work and thus
> wether it's worth trying to port the intel & altix MSI stuff to our
> infrastructure, in which case there is no more reason not to add the
> msi_info to pci_dev without any ifdef (just define it as an empty struct
> if CONFIG_PCI_MSI is not set).

I have no objection to taking this core change, and I do think the intel
and altix stuff should be moved over to this new model.

Oh, and I think your first two patches can be applied now to the tree
(header file changes).  Any objection to me doing this?

thanks,

greg k-h