Subject: Re: [RFC/PATCH 4/7] Powerpc MSI implementation

From: Russell King <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 20:14:36 +0000

On Tue, Nov 07, 2006 at 01:07:30PM -0700, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 07, 2006 at 06:21:23PM +1100, Michael Ellerman wrote:
> > We currently (ab)use the pci_dev to store our msi_info structure. We
> > were hoping to stash it in the pci_dn, but that's not a goer, so the
> > pci_dev seems like the right place, even though it seems naughty to
> > bloat generic structs.
> 
> We have the per-irq void *chip_data; could this be the right place to
> keep it instead?  That way, it won't take up space in the pci_dev for
> devices which don't use MSI.

Bah.  chip_data is supposed to be __iomem.  I bet if you build ARM
with sparse it'll kick out lots of warnings as a result of that loss.

Grumble, generic irq, pah.  Grumble.

-- 
Russell King
 Linux kernel    2.6 ARM Linux   - http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/
 maintainer of:  2.6 Serial core