Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/5] [POWERPC] 8xx: generic 8xx code arch/powerpc port

From: Christoph Hellwig <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 09:00:52 +0100

I've done some grepping, so here are some more useful comments on
the fault.c additions:

> +#ifdef CONFIG_8xx
> +
> +/* The pgtable.h claims some functions generically exist, but I
> + * can't find them......
> + */

This comment is copied from arch/ppc/ but utterly wrong - no one
but 8xx implements any of these functions.  I'd say just kill it.

> +pte_t *va_to_pte(unsigned long address)

this is used by arch/ppc/fec.c to set mapping uncachable, which
seems rather odd to me.  For now we'll have to keep it I think, but
it might make sense to move the implementation to fec.c.

> +unsigned long va_to_phys(unsigned long address)

this is completely unused. You should probably remove it from arch/ppc
aswell.

> +void
> +print_8xx_pte(struct mm_struct *mm, unsigned long addr)

> +int
> +get_8xx_pte(struct mm_struct *mm, unsigned long addr)

These two are only used by arch/ppc/kernel/softemu8xx.c and should
bew move to that file.