Subject: Re: [RFC] powerpc: experimental of serial port driver

From: Arnd Bergmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2006 16:12:27 +0100

On Friday 08 December 2006 15:41, David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-12-08 at 15:43 +1100, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> > I'd rather call it 8250_of.c and have it be specific to 8250's.
> 
> Didn't we already do that once?
> 
You submitted a patch once to create a file with the same name,
but different intend, see
http://ozlabs.org/pipermail/linuxppc-dev/2005-August/019464.html

I can't tell if it was ever merged, but it doesn't look like it.
My driver is only meaningful for platforms that use the new style
of_platform_device autoprobing. It will make the serial ports
show up correctly in sysfs, even if they were not detected by
the legacy_serial code we use for 8250 style console ports. This
should be the same thing we do for 8250 PCI ports when the
8250_pci driver.

	Arnd <><