Subject: Re: [PATCH] generic RTC support for PPC

From: [email-masked] (Olof Johansson)
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 10:03:40 -0600

On Tue, Jan 30, 2007 at 12:37:12AM -0600, Kumar Gala wrote:
> 
> On Jan 29, 2007, at 11:17 PM, Tom Rini wrote:
> 
> >On Thu, Jan 25, 2007 at 01:37:54AM -0600, Olof Johansson wrote:
> >
> >>Make the PPC RTC functions use the generic RTC infrastructure if they
> >>are not already defined (and an RTC is registered in the system).
> >>
> >>This should make it possible to remove the hideous direct access used
> >>in some of the 83xx platforms.
> >
> >Now, I know I'm a bit late, and I've been quiet of late, but, um,  
> >why is
> >there anything other than the RTC class stuff being used?  I know
> >drivers/char/genrtc.c isn't gone yet, but really, it should be in the
> >process of being phased out.  IMHO, it should depend on !POWERPC (or
> >whatever the magic is to allow arch/ppc && !arch/powerpc).
> 
> I think the problem was calling the RTC class code from the place's  
> we use rtc in ppc had locking issues or something like that.

Yes, and it does a direct call into the driver instead of using the
subsystem, exporting the symbol from the driver. Not a very pretty
solution but it's possible that the genrtc stuff wasn't available when
it was first implemented.

-Olof