Subject: Re: [PATCH] [3/9] pasemi: Machine check handler

From: [email-masked] (Olof Johansson)
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2007 22:19:19 -0600

On Mon, Feb 05, 2007 at 10:49:57AM +1100, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-02-01 at 22:54 -0600, Olof Johansson wrote:
> > plain text document attachment (pasemi-machine-check)
> > Print out decoded machine check information on PA6T.
> > 
> > 
> > Signed-off-by: Olof Johansson <[email-masked]>
> 
> Not specific to your patch, but in general, Machine Check might happen
> while MSR:EE is off... which means the kernel might dislike printk being
> called from the MC handler under some circumstances (for example,
> re-entering printk itself in places it doesn't expect to be).
> 
> Might be worth, when the MC is recoverable, to try to "defer" the
> printout to some real irq or timer irq 

Right. There are some other fixups to be done too that I will look at
later, for example all machine checks are still passed through a 32-bit
decoder after the ppc_md one. It can be quite confusing and should
probably be moved out to ppc_machdep handlers on all platforms instead.

I'll try to have some cleanup of the generic code for 2.6.22. Meanwhile
I think this can go in.

-Olof