Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/2] Define FIXED_PORT flag for serial_core

From: David Gibson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 10:44:24 +1100

On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 10:26:30PM +0000, Russell King wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 20, 2007 at 02:19:51PM +1100, David Gibson wrote:
> > Therefore, this patch defines a UPF_FIXED_PORT flag for the uart_port
> > structure.  If this flag is set when the serial port is configured,
> > any attempts to alter the port's type, io address, irq or base clock
> > with setserial are ignored.
> 
> I've been wondering about this, and it is questionable whether we
> should allow any serial port which isn't owned by the legacy platform
> device (the one called "serial8250", iow by the 8250 driver itself)
> to have the base addresses and interrupts changed.
> 
> IOW, we apply this "fixed port" to any port registered by probe
> modules external to the 8250 driver itself, such as PCI, PNP, etc.

Sounds reasonable to me.  But maybe in that case we should invert the
sense of the flag.  UPF_MOVABLE_PORT or UPF_USER_CONFIGURABLE or
something.

-- 
David Gibson			| I'll have my music baroque, and my code
david AT gibson.dropbear.id.au	| minimalist, thank you.  NOT _the_ _other_
				| _way_ _around_!
http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson