Subject: Re: [patch 06/10] Add notify die hooks and remove some redundant debugger hooks

From: Ananth N Mavinakayanahalli <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 17:34:17 +0530

On Fri, Mar 23, 2007 at 10:14:50PM +1100, Paul Mackerras wrote:
> [email-masked] writes:
> 
> > Add a DIE_OOPS and DIE_MACHINE_CHECK notify_die hook and remove some
> > redundant debugger* hooks.
> 
> As far as I can see, at the moment there is just one thing that gets
> registered to be called by die_notify, and that is
> kprobe_exceptions_notify.  It doesn't do anything with DIE_OOPS or
> DIE_MACHINE_CHECK.

Make that two: patch [8/10] of this series converts xmon to use
die_notify and these two were added to facilitate that. In any case,
kprobes just returns NOTIFY_DONE for these callbacks.

> I would rather get rid of die_notify and have a kprobe_notify instead
> that just directly calls kprobe_exceptions_notify.  In fact having
> separate kprobe routines for the different events would be even
> better.

Well, the die_notify hooks for DIE_SSTEP, DIE_BPT (and when kwatch is
implemented for powerpc, even DIE_DABR_MATCH), are shared between
kprobes and xmon, after the xmon conversion to use notifiers.

Ananth