Subject: Re: [PATCH 8/9] ps3: cleanup ps3fb before clearing HPTE

From: Christoph Hellwig <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 19:35:29 +0200

On Sat, Mar 24, 2007 at 04:46:41PM -0700, Geoff Levand wrote:
> Sorry for such a late reply, but I'm now doing the kexec code and see
> why it was put here (by the original author).  It is so you will have
> debugging output until the very last possible moment during a kexec
> shutdown.
> 
> The real problem is really that this routine (and the corresponding ppc_md
> variable) are inappropriately named.  In the general case all that is left
> to do is to call ppc_md.hpte_clear_all, but for ps3 we also want to do the
> framebuffer shutdown here, so something like this should be better:
> 
> -static void ps3_hpte_clear(void)
> +static void ps3_kexec_final(void)
> 
> -	ppc_md.hpte_clear_all = ps3_hpte_clear;
> +	ppc_md.hpte_clear_all = ps3_kexec_final;

as a start method calls sould always be be driver/arch_methodname,
so ps3_hpte_clear_all here, not ps3_hpte_clear but not ps3_kexec_final
either unless the method name changes.

I think you got this code rejected by someone who knows a lot more about
kexec than me, but in a case where something this odd would be allowed
it should at least have a big comment explaining what's going on here.
(In this case it would be basically the content of your email)