Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/7] Kconfig cleanup part II

From: Arnd Bergmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 13:37:07 +0200

On Friday 13 April 2007, Kumar Gala wrote:
> Here the second part of the Kconfig cleanup to move all the
> platform/*/Kconfig to be sourced by platform/Kconfig. =A0Plus some other
> minor cleanups.

Nice patches, I had thought about doing these as well after
I have cleaned up the CPU selection.

Two questions though:
=2D Is there a technical reason why we want to disallow building
  a kernel that contains a combination of 6xx, 83xx, 86xx and
  embedded6xx platforms, or are there only bugs that make it
  impossible?

=2D I'm still not sure whether platform selection or cpu selection
  should come first, three options I can think of are:
  1. CPU first, then platform:
     you might choose to build a kernel for 970 exclusively, which
     would allow you to select powermac, pseries and maple but no
     other platforms.
  2. Platform first, the CPU:
     You might select pseries as the only platform, and then get
     presented with the choice between power3 to power6, rs64
     and 970, but not cell or pa6t.
  3. platform and CPU depend on instruction set, but not on each other,
     You only choose between powerpc64, 4xx, 6xx, e200, e500 or 8xx.
     This would allow nonworking setups though, like a 83xx platform
     with a 601 cpu or a ps3 with power5 cpu.

	Arnd <><