Subject: Re: [PATCH] powerpc pseries eeh: Convert to kthread API

From: [email-masked] (Linas Vepstas)
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 12:35:42 -0500

On Thu, Apr 19, 2007 at 01:58:45AM -0600, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> From: Eric W. Biederman <[email-masked]>
> 
> This patch modifies the startup of eehd to use kthread_run
> not a combination of kernel_thread and daemonize.  Making
> the code slightly simpler and more maintainable.

For the patch that touched arch/powerpc/platforms/pseries/eeh_event.c,
I ran a variety of tests, and couldn't see/find/evoke any adverse
effects, so ..

Acked-by: Linas Vepstas <[email-masked]>

> The second question is whether this is the right implementation.
> kthread_create already works by using a workqueue to create the thread
> and then waits for it.  If we really want to support creating threads
> asynchronously on demand we should have a proper API in kthread.c for
> this instead of spreading workqueues.

Yes, exactly; all I really want is to start a thread from an
interrupt context, and pass a structure to it.  This is pretty much
all that arch/powerpc/platforms/pseries/eeh_event.c is trying to do,
and little else.

--linas