Subject: Re: ARCH=ppc or ARCH=powerpc

From: [email-masked] (Erik Christiansen)
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 17:44:30 +1000

On Wed, Jun 27, 2007 at 08:20:28PM -0500, Kumar Gala wrote:
> On Jun 27, 2007, at 4:41 PM, Bizhan Gholikhamseh ((bgholikh)) wrote:
> > Here are my questions:
> > 1- Should I use ARCH=ppc or ARCH=powerpc to build the kernel?
> 
> Move to ARCH=powerpc.

Would that advice be specific to the MPC8541E?
Encountering a kernel build error with ARCH=ppc, after configuring as much as
possible for MPC8248, I've just tried ARCH=powerpc on linux-2.6.21.5, with this
slightly scary result:

  There is no help available for this kernel option.            
  Symbol: EMBEDDED6xx [=n]                                     
  Prompt: Embedded 6xx/7xx/7xxx-based board                   
    Defined at arch/powerpc/Kconfig:384                      
    Depends on: <choice> && PPC32 && (BROKEN || BROKEN_ON_SMP) 
    Location:                                                 
      -> Platform support                                    
        -> Machine type (<choice> [=y])
<<<

(Note: MPC8248 fits in the 6xx group, architecturally, AFAICT.)

At least I can apply a patch (missing from current kernels), to
fix the immediate MPC8248 problem in ARCH=ppc.

For my case then, ARCH=ppc seems to offer more promise.

Erik
(At this early stage, trying to figure which way is up. :-)