Subject: Re: [PATCH 3/5 v2] Add the platform device support with RapidIO to MPC8641HPCN platform.

From: Arnd Bergmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 16:47:55 +0200

On Thursday 28 June 2007, Zhang Wei-r63237 wrote:
> > > +static __init int mpc86xx_of_device_init(void)
> > > +{
> > > +       return of_platform_bus_probe(NULL, mpc86xx_of_ids, NULL);
> > > +}
> > 
> > This will add any devices below the "fsl,rapidio-delta" device
> > as an of_device. Is that what you actually want? I would guess that
> > you want to add the bridge itself, not the devices below it.
> > 
> > Is the rapidio device at the root of the device tree, and if so, why
> > not under the soc bus?
> > 
> 
> RapidIO is rather a bus that a device although these is no other nodes defined in its sector now.
> 

That's exactly my point. The meaning of of_platform_bus_probe() is 'add all
direct children of these nodes', not 'add these nodes', although it
happens to do that in the process.

Of course, looking at the device tree, rapidio is a device, not a bus,
because it does not have a device_type and it does not have any children
of its own.

	Arnd <><