Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/2] [ide] mmio ide support

From: Arnd Bergmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2007 20:07:10 +0200

On Saturday 07 July 2007, Sergei Shtylyov wrote:
> Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> 
> >>This adds support for MMIO IDE device like CompactFlash 
> >>in TrueIDE mode.
> 
> >>Signed-off-by: Anton Vorontsov <[email-masked]> 
> >>Signed-off-by: Vitaly Bordug <[email-masked]>
> 
> > Hmm, are we still adding new IDE drivers? Do you also have a
> 
>     Yes, why not?

The last time someone (I think Akira Iguchi) wanted to add
a new powerpc specific IDE driver, that was rejected based
on the argument that drivers/ide/ is going away soon. Most
current distros have already moved over to using libata
exclusively.

> > about to add the electra_ide.c driver in 2.6.23, I guess there
> > should really be _one_ driver that is able to handle all
> > of_device based ATA hosts.
> 
>     One driver to rule them all. :-)
>     That may be not so simple as it seems...

It's certainly not easy to support all ATA chips that
have special capabilities and bugs, but the electra and the
mpc8349-itx both seem to support only the most basic ATA
PIO mode anyway, which does not require much special
handling beyond finding the right mmio addresses.

	Arnd <><