Subject: Re: [PATCH] Use resource_size_t for serial port IO addresses

From: Andrew Morton <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 12:34:11 -0700

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 09:08:37 -0500
Josh Boyer <[email-masked]> wrote:

> On Sun, 2007-07-15 at 12:06 +0100, Russell King wrote:
> > > This is something we should do, but I have recollections of Russell
> > > identifying problems with this patch, or at least an earlier version of it?
> > 
> > Basically, there's two patches.  This one (let's call this patch A)
> > and another to prevent users being surprised (let's call that patch B).
> > 
> > I didn't have any real objections to patch A, provided something like
> > patch B was merged.  I did have objections against patch B, and I was
> > intermittently working on a revised solution.
> > 
> > However, for whatever reason [*], during the last merge window patch B
> > got merged and patch A got dropped, and as a result I've now given up
> > with my revised solution, and TBH, I no longer care.
> 
> Patch B in this case was commit abb4a2390.  Since that has already been
> merged, can we please merge this patch into 2.6.23?  I'd really like to
> avoid 44x not working in yet another kernel, so if this patch can't be
> merged I'll have to come up with some alternate solution soon.
> 

I still have a large pile of not-completely-obviously-ready patches to go
through, of which this is one.

There _were_ issues with this patch when it first turned up, but I failed
to record what they were.

Oh well, here's hoping it got fixed.