Subject: Re: [PATCH] Re: 2.6.22-git hangs during PCMCIA on PowerBook G3 in 0.0 seconds

From: Rutger Nijlunsing <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 00:11:31 +0200

> Kim
> 
> p.s. should the stable team be notified to fix 2.6.22 for
> Lombard-nvram-style machines?

Logically, yes. 

Practically it does not matter that much it seems. I've got the
feeling the Lombard-users-group-size is about one person which is
going to drop to zero if he doesn't get any further in being able to
use _any_ PCMCIA card in his machine ;-)

For example, PCMCIA (non-cardbus) does not work on Lombard since
~2.6.12 (2 years old bug instantly crashing the kernel!) according to
own experiences, Google and own git-bisecting down to 2.6.13,
compiling and running different kernels. 2.6.12 appears to require the
'old-style' PCMCIA tools, which I do not have installed and is
therefore impossible for me to test.

Links:
  2.6.12 works with PCMCIA on Lombard:
    http://www.mascanc.net/~vieri/gnumela.html
  2.6.13 dead
    (checked with git)
  2.6.15 dead (Lombard PCMCIA problems in FC5):
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/archive/index.php/t-110657.html
  2.6.18 dead, 2.6.12 works:
    http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-pcmcia/2006-October/004051.html
  2.6.19 dead (own bug report):
    http://ozlabs.org/pipermail/linuxppc-dev/2006-November/028617.html
  2.6.20 dead:
    http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-pcmcia/2007-April/004500.html
  2.6.22 dead (own bug report #2):
    http://ozlabs.org/pipermail/linuxppc-dev/2007-July/039863.html

The initial reason to bisect to the now-reverting patch was to get a
working Lombard. I'd like to get this working or to help out in any
way, but I don't know how to proceed...

-- 
Rutger Nijlunsing ---------------------------------- eludias ed dse.nl
never attribute to a conspiracy which can be explained by incompetence
----------------------------------------------------------------------