Subject: Re: DTC 1.0.0 Release Coming?

From: David Gibson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 11:19:00 +1000

On Tue, Jul 31, 2007 at 11:11:57PM +0200, Segher Boessenkool wrote:
> > Ok, figured out why.  When I push, then pop a quilt patch some of the
> > files end up with their original contents, but changed timestamps.
> > That altered stat information causes git-diff-index to give false
> > indications of changed files, so setlocalversion adds the -dirty.
> > Running git status, or gitool or various other things causes git to
> > notice that the files aren't really changed, updates the index and
> > then the version is generated correctly again.
> >
> > Not very robust though.
> 
> Well you can't blame that on DTC's build system, nor on the
> setlocalversion script, and not on Git either; it's a Quilt
> problem...

No, it's really not - touching the files on a pop is correct behaviour
for quilt (that way it will correctly trigger a rebuild on make
systems that aren't as flashy as Kbuild).

setlocalversion should be ensuring that the verison information is
based on content, not stat info, which means it needs to do a git
status or something that will remove the false positives before using
git-diff-index to determine whether the tree is clean or not.

But I still think my approach of basing the version info directly off
a hash or the source is nicer still.

-- 
David Gibson			| I'll have my music baroque, and my code
david AT gibson.dropbear.id.au	| minimalist, thank you.  NOT _the_ _other_
				| _way_ _around_!
http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson