Subject: [PATCH v7 0/3] [POWERPC] fsl_soc: add support for fsl_spi

From: Anton Vorontsov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 15:33:50 +0400

On Thu, Aug 23, 2007 at 01:24:21PM +1000, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi Anton,
> 
> On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 18:57:32 +0400 Anton Vorontsov <[email-masked]> wrote:
> >
> > +	sysclk = *(u32 *)of_get_property(np, "bus-frequency", NULL);
> 
> I just cringe everytime I see someone dereference a pointer they got from
> somewhere (effectively) external without checking for NULL.

Actually, sitting at the editor I thought twice before _removing_ NULL
checks, and obviously was wrong with final decision. ;-)

I just knew that there is already many places in fsl_soc that don't
check for NULLs, especially when:

> I realise
> that sometimes "that can't happen" ...

Probably to save some code space. But now I seem to comprehend it: not
checking for NULL properties is not a some kind of rule for fsl_soc,
but exceptions which probably should be fixed someday.

Thanks.

[Not related to this particular answer]

Heh.. honestly speaking, I myself don't like externs I introducing in
the board file. Okay, let's risk, and do whole thing correctly:
placing externs into asm/qe.h, trivial patch that could end up with
long discussion. ;-)

Lucky numbered v7 is following.

-- 
Anton Vorontsov
email: [email-masked]
backup email: [email-masked]
irc://irc.freenode.net/bd2