Subject: Re: Problems enabling NTP on ELDK

From: Wolfgang Denk <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2007 20:48:27 +0200

In message <[email-masked]> you wrote:
> 
> I tried enabling NTP on my embedded machine (using ELDK 4.1, ppc_85xx, 
> kernel version 2.6.14 with Xenomai 2.3.2). After I did that I noticed 
> that ksoftirqd/0 suddenly took almost all processor time (> 95%). What 
> is causing this? Is there a way around this, or is this something that 
> does not cause any problems?

You probably have some poroblems in your kernel port - check the  RTC
driver  and  related  modules like I2C etc. Of course this depends on
the NTP configuration you use, but the only kernel interaction I  can
think  of  that  could cause this is if you interact with the RTC. [I
guess that normal network traffic is working fine on your board.]

BTW: ELDK 4.1 comes with a 2.6.19.2  kernel  -  is  there  a  special
reason that you use such an obsoletel kernel tree?

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

-- 
DENX Software Engineering GmbH,     MD: Wolfgang Denk & Detlev Zundel
HRB 165235 Munich, Office: Kirchenstr.5, D-82194 Groebenzell, Germany
Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: [email-masked]
Bankers do it with interest (penalty for early withdrawal).