Subject: Re: 2.6.23-rc7-mm1 -- powerpc rtas panic

From: [email-masked] (Linas Vepstas)
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 13:50:35 -0500

On Wed, Oct 03, 2007 at 02:09:46PM +1000, Michael Ellerman wrote:
> 
> Until we initialise what exactly?

Until we allocate the error log buffer. The original crash was 
for a null-pointer deref of the unallocated buffer. I just sent 
out a patch to fix this; its a bit simpler than the below.

In that email, I remarked:

Andy Whitcroft's crash was appearently due to firmware complaining
about lost power, (actually, lost power supply redundancy!), which
occurred very early during boot.

    Type                00000040 (EPOW)
    Status:             bypassed new
    Residual error from previous boot.
    EPOW Sensor Value:  00000002
    EPOW warning due to loss of redundancy.
    EPOW general power fault.

I've no clue why firmware thought it was OK to report this
during one of the earliest calls to RTAS; I'm still investiigating
that.

--linas