Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 5/9] add documentation for SATA nodes

From: Arnd Bergmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 16:38:06 +0200

On Friday 12 October 2007, Li Yang wrote:

> +
> +       sata@19000 {
> +               compatible = "fsl,mpc8315-sata";
> +               reg = <19000 1000>;
> +               interrupts = <2d 8>;
> +               interrupt-parent = < &ipic >;
> +               phy-handle = < &serdes1 >;
> +        };

I believe we should really have a generic way to probe ATA
ports as long as they are compatible to the standard register
set, and use a generic of-ata driver for that. The two
questions arising there are:

1. Should there be a new device-type for ATA? Alternatively
   we would only look at the "compatible" property, maybe
   looking for a generic "ata" name.

2. How do we make sure the of-ata driver and the specific
   (e.g. sata_fsl) driver don't fight over the same devices?
   Would it be enough to reject all known specific devices
   in of_ata_probe?

	Arnd <><