Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/2] qemu platform, v2

From: Rob Landley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 18:09:28 -0500

On Wednesday 17 October 2007 3:28:41 pm Grant Likely wrote:
> > Including .dtbs in the kernel tree has a big practical problem:
> > they're binary, so can't be patch(1)ed, which makes updating them a
> > complete PITA.

I note that kconfig includes the lex/yacc output files (blah.c_shipped) so you 
don't have to have lex and yacc installed to run "menuconfig".  It _also_ 
includes the lex/yacc source which is what you patch and rebuild the _shipped 
files from when they need to be changed.

> > I'm working on merging dtc into the kernel tree instead.
>
> I'm kind of late to this party; but I have to say I disagree.  Most of
> us are doing just fine installing the dtc tool (and mkimage tool for
> that matter).  Cloning it in the kernel tree is just asking for
> divergence.

Milton Miller has some patches that make a "PPC qemu target" kernel image 
which doesn't include a device tree, and generates a rom image to boot qemu 
with which contains a device tree and hands it off to the Linux kernel.  If 
qemu can merge that rom image in its BIOS collection, this approach would 
meet my immediate needs.

> Cheers,
> g.

Rob
-- 
"One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of code."
  - Ken Thompson.