Subject: Re: [PATCH 5/7] pci: Export the pci_restore_msi_state() function

From: [email-masked] (Linas Vepstas)
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 13:13:37 -0500

On Mon, Oct 22, 2007 at 11:49:24AM +1000, Michael Ellerman wrote:
> 
> On pseries there's a chance it will work for PCI error recovery, but if
> so it's just lucky that firmware has left everything configured the same
> way. 

? The papr is quite clear that i is up to the OS to restore the msi
state after an eeh error.

> Yes I think so. That way we can properly reconfigure via the firmware
> interface. The other option would be to design some new arch hook to do
> resume, but just doing a disable/enable seems simpler to me.

Err, If you read the code for suspend/resume, it never actually calls
disable/enable (and thus doesn't go to the firmware); it calls 
restore_msi_state() function!

If suspend/resume needs to call firmware to restore the state, then,
at the moment, suspend/resume is broken.  As I mentioned earlier,
I presumed that no powerpc laptops currently use msi-enabled devices,
as otherwise, this would have been flushed out.

--linas