Subject: Re: [PATCH] powerpc: Fix 44x Machine Check handling

From: Josh Boyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 08:58:13 -0600

On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 01:40:25 -0600
Olof Johansson <[email-masked]> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 16, 2007 at 06:21:06PM +1100, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> > This removes the old CONFIG_440A which was a pain for multiplatform
> > kernel and wasn't set properly by default and replaces it with a
> > CPU feature. This makes Machine Check reporting work correctly on
> > my Ebony (440GP) board.
> 
> I'm not sure I like this. It introduces another cpu feature flag,
> that we'll soon run out of if it's used to signify version info per
> implementation like this.
> 
> 1) The SET_IVOR could be done from the cpu_setups for 440A instead
> (i.e. introduce one).

Yeah, that might work.  I'm wondering if either method needs to take
arch/ppc into account, as the cputable is shared.

> 2) Please just move the machine check handlers out to individual ones
> instead of using the generic one. That way you don't need runtime checks
> between the two (they don't seem to share much of it as-is anyway).

Anton pinged me about cleaning that up a couple months ago.  I have a
half-baked patch for it somewhere, but I agree having 4xx set a ppc_md
specific handler would be a good idea.

josh