Subject: Re: Xilinx EDK BSP generation of device trees for microblaze and PowerPC

From: David Gibson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2007 11:48:51 +1100

On Mon, Nov 26, 2007 at 01:44:02PM -0800, Stephen Neuendorffer wrote:
[snip]
> > >                                  reg = < 81c00000 40 >;
> > 
> > If these registers are addressable, then the parent needs a 
> > 'ranges' property.
> 
> I thought ranges weren't necessary in a 1:1 mapping?

You were misinformed.  If there is no ranges property, the child nodes
are not directly addressable from the bus above.  If the ranges
property is present, but empty, then there is an identity mapping
between parent and child bus addresses.  So you probably want to add
	ranges;
to the parent node.

-- 
David Gibson			| I'll have my music baroque, and my code
david AT gibson.dropbear.id.au	| minimalist, thank you.  NOT _the_ _other_
				| _way_ _around_!
http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson