Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/4] Series to add device tree naming to i2c

From: Olof Johansson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2007 17:37:52 -0600

On Mon, Dec 03, 2007 at 04:20:32PM -0500, Jon Smirl wrote:
> The following series implements standard linux module aliasing for i2c modules
> It then converts the mpc i2c driver from being a platform driver to an open
> firmware one. I2C device names are picked up from the device tree. Module
> aliasing is used to translate from device tree names into to linux kernel
> names. Several i2c drivers are updated to use the new aliasing. 

May I ask why you want to modify the i2c layer instead of keeping the
OF->i2c driver mapping in PPC code? It seems simpler to keep it in the
PPC-specific code, since otherwise you might end up with confused i2c
driver writers that make up their own OF names without knowing for sure
that's what will be used. No?

I recently posted (and asked Paulus to pull) a patch where I consolidate
the fsl_soc mapping code so I can also use that on pasemi, and modified
the pasemi platform code to setup the board_info from the device tree
accordingly.

Finally, whitespace is broken in several of your patches.

-Olof