Subject: Re: [PATCH] [POWERPC] 4xx: Add aliases node to 4xx dts files

From: David Gibson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 09:33:42 +1100

On Sun, Dec 16, 2007 at 07:10:02PM +0100, Segher Boessenkool wrote:
> > Applied to my candidates tree.  Though I'd really like dtc to be merged
> > so that we can figure out what the in-kernel version will support.
> 
> Hopefully some version that stores path strings in the properties
> in /aliases, and not phandles.  Or does that current version of DTC
> do that correctly already, and just has an inconvenient source
> syntax?

I don't think anyone's actually gone and generated phandles in
/aliases, although it was suggested early on.  The syntax is
	foo = < &bar >;
to generate a phandle and
	foo = &bar;
to generate a path.

I was a bit worried about confusion between these forms, but at least
Kumar and myself came up with this syntax independently, which
suggests it's not too surprising to most people, and no-one had any
other suggestions.

-- 
David Gibson			| I'll have my music baroque, and my code
david AT gibson.dropbear.id.au	| minimalist, thank you.  NOT _the_ _other_
				| _way_ _around_!
http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson