Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/7] powerpc: allow localbus compatible serial ports for console device

From: Arnd Bergmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 17:04:22 +0100

On Monday 07 January 2008, Paul Gortmaker wrote:
> 
> I'd thought about doing that, but there are slight differences
> in each test.  To remain 100% faithful to the original implementation
> you'd have to have a table or similar that had these various fields
> and loop over that -- something like:
> 
> compat      parent   pnt-compat  pnt-type   add-fcn
> ---------------------------------------------------------------
> ns16550     NULL     NULL        soc        add_legacy_soc_port
> NULL        isa      NULL        NULL       add_legacy_isa_port
> ns16550     NULL     NULL        tsi-bridge add_legacy_soc_port
> ns16550     NULL     ibm,opb     opb        add_legacy_soc_port
> ns16550     NULL     localbus    NULL       add_legacy_soc_port
> 
> But, if we were willing to move away from checks based on
> the parent->type and stick with parent->compat, then the
> unification would be a lot cleaner and easier to implement.

Unfortunately, some of our cell blades don't have the right
'compatible' property, so you still need to check the type for
the opb case.

> (we could also leave the ISA one out as an oddball, and then
> not have to carry an add-fcn either).

yes, that seems reasonable.

	Arnd <><