Subject: [PATCH v5 0/5] device_type/compatible cleanups

From: Anton Vorontsov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 18:18:50 +0300

Hi all,

This is v5. It's tested on MPC8360E-RDK and MPC8568E-MDS.

Here is diffstat summary:

 Documentation/powerpc/booting-without-of.txt   |   26 +--
 arch/powerpc/boot/dts/mpc832x_mds.dts          |   11 -
 arch/powerpc/boot/dts/mpc832x_rdb.dts          |   11 -
 arch/powerpc/boot/dts/mpc836x_mds.dts          |   11 -
 arch/powerpc/boot/dts/mpc836x_rdk.dts          |   10 -
 arch/powerpc/boot/dts/mpc8568mds.dts           |   10 -
 arch/powerpc/sysdev/fsl_soc.c                  |  191 +++++++++++++++----------
 b/Documentation/powerpc/booting-without-of.txt |   11 -
 b/arch/powerpc/boot/dts/mpc8313erdb.dts        |    4
 b/arch/powerpc/boot/dts/mpc832x_mds.dts        |    9 -
 b/arch/powerpc/boot/dts/mpc832x_rdb.dts        |   10 -
 b/arch/powerpc/boot/dts/mpc8349emitx.dts       |    4
 b/arch/powerpc/boot/dts/mpc8349emitxgp.dts     |    4
 b/arch/powerpc/boot/dts/mpc834x_mds.dts        |    4
 b/arch/powerpc/boot/dts/mpc836x_mds.dts        |   10 -
 b/arch/powerpc/boot/dts/mpc836x_rdk.dts        |    1
 b/arch/powerpc/boot/dts/mpc8568mds.dts         |   10 -
 b/arch/powerpc/kernel/legacy_serial.c          |    3
 b/arch/powerpc/platforms/83xx/mpc832x_mds.c    |   11 -
 b/arch/powerpc/platforms/83xx/mpc832x_rdb.c    |   11 -
 b/arch/powerpc/platforms/83xx/mpc836x_mds.c    |   11 -
 b/arch/powerpc/platforms/85xx/mpc85xx_mds.c    |   32 ++--
 b/arch/powerpc/sysdev/fsl_soc.c                |    5
 b/arch/powerpc/sysdev/qe_lib/qe.c              |   64 +++++---
 b/drivers/net/ucc_geth_mii.c                   |    4
 b/drivers/spi/spi_mpc83xx.c                    |   10 -
 26 files changed, 284 insertions(+), 204 deletions(-)

Changes since v4:
- Now I'm not removing device_type = "qe", because I realized that there
  was a period of time (month or so?) where libfdt-enabled u-boots were
  searching for it;
- new patch that prepares the code for device_type = "soc" removal
  from the device trees. We can't remove it now, because of backward
  compatibility. Though, MPC8360E-RDK is exception here.

Changes since v3:
- Thanks to reviewers, few glitches found and fixed;
- New conversion: device_type = "qeic" to compatible = "fsl,qe-ic";
- Documentation updated.

Changes since v2:
- SPI conversion fixed and actually tested on MPC8323E-RDB to not
  break anything;
- Few more users of device_type = "qe" converted to
  compatible = "fsl,qe";
- Got Ack on SPI part from David Brownell.

Changes since v1:
- Device tree lookup changes should be backward compatible with
  older dtbs;
- Few of_put_node() cleanups;
- cell-index property added to spi nodes;
- cpm-muram{,-data} added as an addition to qe-muram{,-data}.

Thanks,

-- 
Anton Vorontsov
email: [email-masked]
backup email: [email-masked]
irc://irc.freenode.net/bd2