Subject: Re: compile quirk linux-2.6.24 (with workaround)

From: Sven Luther <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 10:51:21 +0100

On Sun, Feb 03, 2008 at 05:29:05PM +0100, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> Dear linux powerpc Maintainers and Users,
> 
> recently I have tried to compile a new kernel on a Debian sarge ppc
> system (PowerBook5,6 MacRISC3 Power Macintosh).

This is a G4 based system.

> The build system bailed out with
>        BOOTCC  arch/powerpc/boot/4xx.o
>         cc1: error: bad value (440) for -mcpu= switch
>         make[1]: *** [arch/powerpc/boot/4xx.o] Fehler 1
> 
> I have tracked this a few steps and the attached patch made the compile for me
> as my compiler gcc-Version 3.3.5 (Debian 1:3.3.5-13) 
> cannot produce code for 4xx it seems.

You should normally not need to build the 4xx bootloader part. Make sure
that, i don't know why this happens. Can you look into
arch/powerpc/boot/Makefile, to see what option enables the 4xx build,
and make sure it is disabled in the main config ?

Please bounce this message to debian-powerpc, as debian believes in
censorship instead of trying to solve inimity by discussion.

Friendly,

Sven Luther