Subject: Re: [PATCH 4/6] Add multi mport support.

From: Matt Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 10:29:42 -0600

On Thu, Jan 31, 2008 at 02:30:13PM +0800, Zhang Wei wrote:
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: Kumar Gala [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> > when we have multiple ports are the device IDs on the ports intended  
> > to be unique only to a port or unique across all ports?
> > 
> I consider each RIO controller will has its own network, the device IDs
> should be
> unique only in its port network.

This is a bad assumption IMHO. It pushes policy on to the system
designer of a RapidIO network.

It is very possible to use multiple controllers as entry points
in a single RapidIO network fabric space. The reason one would do this
is to provide optimized paths to some endpoints in the system.

If possible, there should never be a policy assumption like this in
kernel space. It's much better to assume that one may or may not
have a unique id space.

-Matt