Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/2] i2c-ibm_iic driver

From: Arnd Bergmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 23:55:16 +0100

On Tuesday 19 February 2008, Stefan Roese wrote:
> On Tuesday 19 February 2008, Jean Delvare wrote:
> >
> > With this Kconfig change, "make menuconfig" lets me select the
> > i2c-ibm_iic driver on x86_64, but it fails to build horribly. I think
> > that you want to restrict the build to PPC machines somehow, or at
> > least make sure that either IBM_OCP or OF support is present.
>=20
> How about this:
>=20
> -=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0depends on IBM_OCP
> +=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0depends on 4xx

I think we should allow it to be built on other platforms as well,
as long as they have of_platform_device support.

The Axon south bridge used on IBMs QS21 blade probably has an ibm_iic,
even though it's managed by the firmware and we probably don't want
to use it at this time, someone could use the same chip in a new
design and actually do that.

In general, I also like to make it possible to enable drivers just
for the benefit of compile testing, even for stuff that you can't
find in any existing HW configuration, so as long as it builds on
a platform, I think we shouldn't forbid it:

=2D       depends on IBM_OCP
+       depends on IBM_OCP || PPC_MERGE

	Arnd <><