Subject: Re: [PATCH] [POWERPC] AMCC Kilauea (405EX): Disable EMAC loopback mode

From: Josh Boyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 14:36:21 -0600

On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 09:32:12 +0100
Stefan Roese <[email-masked]> wrote:

> 405EX(r) has SDR0_MFR[E0CS/E1CS] set after reset. This selects
> the internal loopback mode. Clear these bits so that both EMACs
> don't use loopback mode as default.
> 
> Signed-off-by: Stefan Roese <[email-masked]>
> ---
> I'm not sure if this should be done here in the board platform code,
> or in the newemac driver or perhaps in some code common for 405EX.
> 
> Any thoughts on this welcome.

Why isn't this done in U-Boot?  Or is it done if the network interface
is used?  I know I've tftp'd a kernel onto my 405EXr board, so I'm
slightly confused why this is needed in the kernel.

Aside from that, I'm OK with it living in the platform code for Kilauea
(an Haleakala by inheritance).  Particularly given the fact that this
should be fixing in U-Boot for any further boards that use 405EX(r)...
right?

josh