Subject: Re: [PATCH] [POWERPC] Add AMCC Glacier 460GT eval board dts

From: Stefan Roese <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 11:54:33 +0100

On Friday 21 March 2008, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-03-19 at 17:15 +0100, Stefan Roese wrote:
> > +               cpu@0 {
> > +                       device_type = "cpu";
> > +                       model = "PowerPC,460GT";
> > +                       reg = <0>;
>
> I wonder if we should do something here to differenciate the SoC chip
> from the core. After all, all those 4xx mostly have the same core (there
> are 2 or 3 revisions of the core maybe ...) but they tend to have all
> different PVR which is a pain and won't scale...
>
> Maybe AMCC could do something in HW (splitting the PVR from whatever
> indicates what "chip" it is, and keeping the PVR purely for the core
> rev) but I'm wondering if we should also do something in the DTS..
> Stefan can you talk to your AMCC contacts about this ?

Yes, I'll do that. Not sure about the outcome though.

> As for the DTS, maybe a "compatible" property in the CPU might make some
> sense with a content along the lines of "ppc440x6" or whatever rev of
> the 440 core it is.
>
> What do you think ?

Good idea. I'll try to come up with a list for all existing 4xx SoC's and it's 
core versions.

Best regards,
Stefan

=====================================================================
DENX Software Engineering GmbH,     MD: Wolfgang Denk & Detlev Zundel
HRB 165235 Munich, Office: Kirchenstr.5, D-82194 Groebenzell, Germany
Phone: +49-8142-66989-0 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80  Email: [email-masked]
=====================================================================