Subject: Re: ppc platform for AMCC-440EPx - ELDK to the rescue

From: Wolfgang Denk <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 23:22:47 +0100

In message <[email-masked]> you wrote:
> I finally resolved my nightmare of getting linux-2.6.24/5... to work 
> on my AMCC-440Epx - Sequoia spinoff board. Following a clue I derived 
> from a reply from Wolfgang Denx, I went to the DENX Engineering site 
> where I discoved and downloaded the ELDK for the ppc_4xxFP. the ELDK 
> uses the ppc platform instead of the powerpc platform.  FINALLY the 

This is not exactly correct. Actually it supports both.

> Also, I fail to see what the DTS virtualization layer of the hardware 
> buys us. When debugging, it's so much harder to use than the ppc 
> platform's straight forward and standard methodologies.  I can't 
> understand to goal to eliminate the ppc platform, especially given 
> the fact that DENX's ELDK is still using it with Linux 2.6.24.2 !!

You miss the fact that the ELDK has full  support  for  arch/powerpc,
and  that  some  board configurations in our kernel (for example, all
MPC5200 based ones)  are  available  in  arch/powerpc  configurations
only.

But then - what's the difference? All it takes is a  redefinition  of
the ARCH envrionment variable in your shell...

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

-- 
DENX Software Engineering GmbH,     MD: Wolfgang Denk & Detlev Zundel
HRB 165235 Munich, Office: Kirchenstr.5, D-82194 Groebenzell, Germany
Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: [email-masked]
I've got a bad feeling about this.