Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/9] [POWERPC] mv64x60: change FDT compatible prefix to mrvl

From: Dale Farnsworth <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 09:56:05 -0700

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 10:44:20AM +1100, David Gibson wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 05:47:25PM -0600, Grant Likely wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 5:42 PM, Dale Farnsworth <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > > From: Dale Farnsworth <[email-masked]>
> > >
> > >  Follow the convention that compatible names are prefixed by the
> > >  vendor's stock ticker symbol.  For Marvell Technology Group Ltd.,
> > >  that's MRVL.
> > >
> > >  Signed-off-by: Dale Farnsworth <[email-masked]>
> > >  Acked-by: Mark A. Greer <[email-masked]>
> > 
> > Are there any boards "in the wild" using the old string?  If so are
> > does changing this string risk complicating upgrades to a new kernel
> > version?
> 
> In particular are there any pre-flattened-tree real-OF systems in the
> wild using "marvell" as the vendor prefix (there might be Apple or IBM
> systems out there with Marvell PHYs for example).

It's difficult to prove a negative.  However, I've seen no evidence of
such systems.  When Mark invented the "marvell," prefix, it wasn't based
on existing practice.

However, I believe that the Genesi Pegasos board uses OF and has a
Marvell bridge chip.  They may have copied the "marvell," prefix.

Matt, can you check whether any of the Genesi boards contain device node
descriptions for the Marvel 64[34]60, and let us know what prefix is used
in their compatible properties?

Thanks,
-Dale