Subject: Re: [PATCH] siimage: fix kernel oops on PPC 44x

From: Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 23:29:59 +0200

On Monday 07 April 2008, Sergei Shtylyov wrote:
> Fix kernel oops due to machine check occuring in init_chipset_siimage() on PPC
> 44x platforms.  These 32-bit CPUs have 36-bit physical address and PCI I/O and
> memory spaces are mapped beyond 4 GB; arch/ppc/ code has a fixup in ioremap()
> that creates an illusion of the PCI I/O and memory resources being mapped below
> 4 GB, while arch/powerpc/ code got rid of this fixup with PPC 44x having instead
> CONFIG_RESOURCES_64BIT=y -- this causes the resources to be truncated to 32-bit
> 'unsigned long' type in this driver, and so non-existant memory being ioremap'ed
> and then accessed...
> 
> Thanks to Valentine Barshak for providing an initial patch and explanations.
> 
> Signed-off-by: Sergei Shtylyov <[email-masked]>

applied and pushed to Linus, thanks!

I guess that it would be worth to audit the rest of IDE code for
pci_resource_{start,end}() vs 'unsigned long' occurences and fix them.

[ Even if they work at the moment they are just bugs waiting to happened
  when we add support for some new platforms or rewrite the code... ]